THE NEW PSYCHOLOGICAL LABORATORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA BY George T. W. Patrick The new Psychological Laboratory of the University of Iowa was completed and occupied in September, 1901. It is situated on the second floor of the north wing of the Hall of Liberal Arts, a new Bedford-stone structure begun in 1897. This is a fire-proof building, constructed at a cost of about $203,000, 210 feet by 120 feet, and three stories high with a basement. It is heated and ventilated by the fan system combined with direct radiation, a Sturtevant thermostat in- each room maintaining the temperature at any desired degree of heat. Previous to the drawing of the plans of the building, 4500 square feet of clear floor space were set aside for the department of philosophy and psychology, including the laboratory. Through the kindness of the Board of Regents, carte blanche was given to the department in conference with the architect in respect to the plans, including all details of construction and arrangement. The building committee of the Board generously granted every reason¬ able request to the end of securing in the outcome as per¬ fect a laboratory as could be designed within the allotted space. The rooms with their names and sizes are as follows : Lecture Room..............27'— 8" X 29'—10" Apparatus Room...........15'— 7" X 23'— 2" Workshop................20'— 0" X 23'— 5" Measuring Room...........15'— 5" X 18'— 8" Observing Room...........16'— 2" X 12'— 7 "