THE PSYCHOLOGICAL LABORATORY OF OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY BY ALBERT P. WEISS At Ohio State University the Department of Psychology1 is responsible for all the official courses in psychology given on the campus. From the beginning it has been the adminisĀ¬ trative policy to encourage without prejudice all recognized phases of psychology and to retain them under a unitary organization. The wisdom of such a policy is written in its growth. In 1912 the faculty of the department consisted of two professors and one laboratory assistant with an enrollment of approximately 200 students. In 1926 the permanent teaching staff consisted of twenty-two members assisted by thirteen laboratory and graduate assistants. The student enrollment, graduate and undergraduate, has increased to 5,000. In order to preserve and, if possible, to increase the autonomy of the individual members, and to simplify the administrative problems, Professor George F. Arps, Head of the Department, has distributed the administrative and academic problems into five major divisions. Under this form of unification and administration all the departmental resources in specific training and laboratory equipment are at the disposal of the whole personnel. Administrative Divisions The general administration and coordination of the several divisions are under Professor George F. Arps. 1 The writer was requested to prepare this report by reason of his connection with the department during the period of its development. Chief among those factors which contributed toward this development were the hearty support and prompt cooperation of the University Administration and the Graduate School. Many others besides those mentioned were consulted. Acknowledgment is made of the valuable serĀ¬ vices rendered by Dr. E. A. Doll, Director of Research, The Training School, Vineland, N. J., during his connection with the department. 434