xvi DESCRIPTIVE LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS. ENGRAVING on COPPER. The alphabet inscribed on a. scroll. H. S. Beham. (B. M.) PART OF A sgvmu: CARPET. The ornament consists almost entirely ofinscribecl scrolls. German. (V. 8: A. M.) CYPHER AND INSCRIBED LABELS, designed for the "Art Journal Illustrated Catalogue of the Exhibition of 185x," by W. Harry Rogers. (H. Virtue 65- Co.) The words Gospels. SECUNDUM German. LUCAM, from 15th century. manuscript of the Two names, CHARLES and MAUD, intermingled with symbolic and decorative intent. (L. F. D.) GOTHIC PEW-END, with letter G used decoratively. Church in Somersetshire. 14th century. From a. IRON BOLT'PLATES in the form of a letter F. of Frangois Ier. French. Period BORDER OF A PAGE from "The Book of Wedding Days." Branches of the brier rose, appropriate to the month, spell JUNE. Designed by Walter Crane. 66. ENGRAVED PANEL, in which florid Gothic foliage resolves itself, upon examination, into the at first unsuspected word ISRAEL, and (sideways) the letter M. Subsidiary labels bear mottoes "Da gloriam Deo," etc. From a. print (in which, however, the design is reversed), engraved by Israel van Meckenen. German. 15th century. (B. M.) The letters R L L. s v, coloured, with so little regard to shape as further to disguise already florid forms. Embroidered, border-wise, on linen. German Gothic. (V. 8: A. M.) GOLDEN VOTIVE CROWN, found near Toledo. Suspended from it in the form of a fringe are the letters RECCESSVINTI-IUS, in cloisonned mosaic of coloured stones. Visigothic workmanship of the 7th century. (Cluny Museum.) in relief upon a bronze memorial tablet 1616. MERCI-IANT'S MARK, at Nuremberg.