Bauhaus-Universität Weimar

Titel:
Department of Physiological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Medical School
Person:
Lewis, Howard B.
PURL:
https://digitalesammlungen.uni-weimar.de/viewer/image/lit8127/1/
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY 
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN MEDICAL SCHOOL 
BY 
Howard Bishop Lewis, Ph.D. 
PROFESSOR OF PHYSIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY 
While in many medical schools to-day the department 
which is concerned with the application of chemistry to 
medicine has been designated as the department of 
biochemistry or biological chemistry, the older term, the 
department of physiological chemistry, has been re¬ 
tained in the University of Michigan Medical School. 
This has been due largely to historical and sentimental 
reasons. It was as the science of physiological chemis¬ 
try that biochemistry developed from the professorships 
of physiological chemistry at Tübingen and Strasbourg 
in Germany and at Yale in this country. Moreover, 
the University of Michigan was one of the first American 
universities to recognize the importance of physiological 
chemistry as a separate branch of chemistry in relation 
to medicine. In 1883, Dr. Victor C. Vaughan, later 
dean of this medical school, was appointed professor of 
Fig. 1.—Undergraduate Students’ Laboratory for Physiological Chemistry
        

Nutzerhinweis

Sehr geehrte Benutzer,

aufgrund der aktuellen Entwicklungen in der Webtechnologie, die im Goobi viewer verwendet wird, unterstützt die Software den von Ihnen verwendeten Browser nicht mehr.

Bitte benutzen Sie einen der folgenden Browser, um diese Seite korrekt darstellen zu können.

Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis.