Bauhaus-Universität Weimar

Titel:
Institute of Physiology (Hallerianum), University of Bern
Person:
Asher, Leon
PURL:
https://digitalesammlungen.uni-weimar.de/viewer/image/lit8053/1/
INSTITUTE OF PHYSIOLOGY (H ALLERI AN UM) 
UNIVERSITY OF BERN 
BY 
Leon Asher, M.D. 
PROFESSOR OF PHYSIOLOGY 
The Institute of Physiology of the University of Bern 
was built in the years 1892 to 1894 from the plans of 
Professor Dr. Hugo Kronecker and Stempkowski, 
canton architect. The cost of the building amounted 
to 287,000 francs. The Institute was given the name 
‘‘Hallerianum” in honor of the great physiologist of 
Bern, Albrecht von Haller. 
The building plans and organization of the Institute 
were formed with the idea that the Institute should be 
devoted to the general field of physiology. Professor 
Kronecker, who was a pupil of Carl Ludwig, organized 
physiology in the Institute according to the ideas of his 
great master and he also made the interior arrangements 
conform to this idea. His successor, the present direc¬ 
tor Dr. Leon Asher, also a pupil of Ludwig’s, tried to 
preserve this tradition when he took over the director¬ 
ship of the Institute in 1914 and superintended the ad¬ 
dition of modern equipment. 
The Hallerianum (Fig. 1) is a brick building arranged 
in three divisions. Sandstone was used for the window 
and door-frames, as well as for the pillars in the large 
vestibule on the ground floor. Granite was used for the 
Fig. 1.—Institute of Physiology (Hallerianum)
        

Nutzerhinweis

Sehr geehrte Benutzer,

aufgrund der aktuellen Entwicklungen in der Webtechnologie, die im Goobi viewer verwendet wird, unterstützt die Software den von Ihnen verwendeten Browser nicht mehr.

Bitte benutzen Sie einen der folgenden Browser, um diese Seite korrekt darstellen zu können.

Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis.